Monday, February 6, 2012

Day 245... Fizzy Explosion bags


Tonight we did a fun science project fizzy explosion bags!!
The recipe called for 1 1/2 Tbsp baking soda wrapped in a 5X5 square of paper towel. This is your time release special packet.

We decided to use more and a larger paper towel because our bag was gallon size.

The recipe than calls for you to mix 1/2 cup vinegar with 1/4 cup warm water. You pour these two into the ziplock bag. 
Maddie getting ready to drop the time release packet into the liquid solution!! 
Everyone standing back waiting for the POP!! Sadly on the big bags it never came. We tried three times. I think the seal on the bag was just too tight. It would not pop and explode. Lots of fun watching the bag get bigger, and bigger. 
We tried with our small snack size bags.
Success!!

Most of the time our FUN of the day is planned right before we do it. Today was one of those days. I did not want to go and buy sandwich size bags. I figured if I increased the amounts we were using we could get my large ziplocks to explode. I was WRONG.  The snack size was fun to see but the other I know would have been better. We will definitely do this one again this summer. I think we will use some food coloring to make it even more fun!! The kids loved doing it and I think it will make a perfect summer afternoon project!!

No comments:

Post a Comment