Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Day 323... Poetry

April is National Poetry month. I thought we would attempt to either write a poem or use words cut out from magazines to put a poem together.  I used to do this when I was a kid and thought it would be fun.
Maddie ended up writing a poem:

Father of our lives is here
Father of our lives is near
We'll just have to wait and see
What he has for you and me.
He will awake you in the night
He will awake you with a light.
There's a story here to see
Unfolding for you and me. 

She was very proud of it and thought it was Shakespeare quality. At one point, when I corrected her on a word she said.. "Well I suppose Shakespeare's mother criticized him too." She makes me laugh!!

Carson attempted to write a poem about animals and Steve Irwin. Then he gave up. I think he is more of a story teller than a poet. 
Makenna, my budding writer, wrote a poem about the IMAX movie "To The Arctic."

Polar Bears: by Makenna Greene

The cold is ever present, the wind spins around the barren icy land, for it has no boundaries.
You see the Arctic world untouched, only known by its children, the Polar Bears.
The grass and dirt of the tame and conquered world , fade here into ice and snow. 
Storms rage with no end in sight.
 Through the eyes of the polar bear the storm is just another to add to winters past. 
You see a cold barren land, they see paradise.  

Jack and I worked on this one together. We cut out lots of words and then tried to put it into a poem of sorts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment