Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 252.. Tissue Paper Hearts


Back in 1976 when I was in elementary school, we made tissue paper art to hang in the school gym. It was a really big deal as we were celebrating the Bicentennial. You can see them in the news article above. They were really amazing pieces of  huge art and they hung in the school for years, and years, and years. I don't believe they are still hanging but haven't been back in a really long time. 

Last night when we were watching the Grammy's I decided to try a tissue paper heart to see if I remembered how to do it. In my mind you just wrapped a square piece of tissue paper around the bottom of a pencil, stuck it in some glue and then onto the artwork. As I was working on my heart the kids kept asking what I was doing and if they would get a turn.  Maddie thought they were just BEAUTIFUL!! 

Tonight I dug out my school article from my scrapbook.  I showed them what I had done and was really hoping they would be excited to make the hearts. They did like it at first but then it got boring. Even my hubby John wasn't thrilled.  Maybe had everyone been able to make their own design instead of filling in a heart they would have liked it better?? Not sure. It just didn't have the creativity factor they were looking for I guess. 

We worked in teams to create these small hearts to hang off of my fireplace. Jack was happy that I was his partner and that we got to do a red one!!

I love how they turned out. I hate that the kids and even my husband weren't as thrilled making them as what I remember my first experience being. I should have just kept this little craft and memory to myself.   Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment